Interesting study. APAP overuse, yet another American epidemic……
What do you think?
Senior men having difficulty sleeping at night due to extended periods of interrupted breathing may be at increased risk of heart-related death. This problem is thought to be due to poor oxygenation (study indicator) stemming from sleep apnea and other related factors, according to an Australian study in European Heart Journal (2018). Researchers Linz and Baumert reported that men with ≥ 12 minutes of oxygen saturation below 90% during their sleep cycles increased risk of heart-related death by nearly 60% in the study. The importance of restful, well-oxygenated sleep in relation to health and healing cannot be underestimated for many reasons. If you suspect you are one of the individuals with sleep apnea or other sleep-related health issues, please talk with your primary care physician and ask for a sleep study to uncover the root cause of your problem and get help.
Please ‘Like’ us on www.Facebook.com/rxintegrativesolutions to receive an ongoing list of seminars and workshops conducted by Dr. Cathy Rosenbaum.
Health & Wellness Seminar Topics for Your Church/Support/Corporate/Civic Group:
- Health & Wellness Trends For The Future – Oh, The Places We’ll Go!
* Pharmacogenomics, the Future of Personalized (Precision) Medicine & Gene Therapy (Disease Cures vs Treatment)
* The A to ZZZZ’s of Sleep Health
* Memory Health: Even Elephants Forget Sometimes!
* Bottled Water Sources/Plastics/Filtration Systems- What You Don’t Know May Hurt You!
* Taking the ‘Poly’ Out of Polypharmacy (Overprescribing of Medications)
* Eight Balance Points for Healing: Building Integrative Health & Wellness Tool Kits That Fit Your Health Goals & Lifestyle Choices
* Herbs of the Bible
* Homegrown Medicinal Herbs & Teas
* Debunking Myths About Dietary Supplements
* Medical Marijuana: The Healthcare Professional’s Perspective
* Caregiving: From Compassion Fatigue to Compassion Satisfaction
* The Truth About OTC Diagnostic Tests (e.g., Hair Analysis, Iridology, Electrodermal Testing, Antioxidant Skin Fold Testing, Saliva Testing,
Thermal Biofeedback, Electromyography Biofeedback, More)
* Antioxidants & Chemotherapy – Dance Partners or Double-Edged Swords?
* Antioxidants & Health
* A Primer of Nontraditional Medicine Practices in the Greater Cincinnati Area
* Let’s Have Some Applause for Menopause
* Men’s Health: Everything You Want to Know but Are Afraid to Ask
* Vitamin-Crazed Insurance Policies: Are Multiple Vitamins Really Needed Throughout Life?
* The Holistic Approach to Wound Care Management
* The Holistic Approach to Managing Stress
* Essential Oil Aromatherapy for Healing: Does This Modality Pass the Sniff Test?
This yellow spice/dietary supplement from the ginger family has become popular in recent months. Its active ingredient is curcumin, one of the spices found in curry powder frequently used in Indian cuisine, and in yellow mustard. Curcumin is a potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant.
Research studies have been conducted with turmeric for osteoarthritis pain management. Turmeric side effects include heartburn, as it is truly ‘spicy.’ So, if you already experience GERD (acid reflux disease) you will not be a candidate for this product.
A typical turmeric extract dose is 1 gram/day or less. One gram is ~ equal to 3 – 15 teaspoonsful of the ground spice, so there is wide variability between products and food. Some of the turmeric dietary supplement manufacturers add black pepper to their formulations to increase turmeric’s absorption and inhibit turmeric’s metabolism. I’m not sure that has been scientifically proven to work.
If you suffer from osteoarthritis pain and have been taking NSAIDs for years (e.g., Naproxen, Motrin, Celebrex, Feldene, Diclofenac), you may wish to consider talking with your physician about the appropriateness of taking the supplement turmeric in place of them to avoid significant long-term NSAID side effects on the stomach, heart, kidneys, and liver.
Please do not start taking turmeric without the advice and consent of your physician. Schedule an appointment for a prescription medication/dietary supplement/integrative health consultation with Dr. Cathy Rosenbaum today!
Happy New Year….Be healthy….Be Wise….Stay Safe