Simple in actions and thoughts, you return to the source of being.
Patient with both friends and enemies,
you accord with the way things are.
Compassionate toward yourself,
you reconcile all beings in the world.
— Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
On March 16, 2020, USA Today ran a list of 100 things to do while quarantined inside. Here are some excerpts, with a few more from Dr. Cathy. May they bring you peace in this challenging time.
1. Meditate. Try lying down with your eyes closed, palms up, while centering on your deep breathing for solace.
2. Hand write a letter to a special family member with whom you have been estranged. If needed, seek forgiveness. After that, hand write thank you notes to service people whom you recall have gone out of their way for you. Send them a gift card.
3. Call someone you know who is shut-in all the time and offer a cheery word of encouragement and love. Listen.
4. Make a list of things for which you are grateful then read them back during your time of daily meditation.
5. Write a book with your family. Pick a character and have each member write a chapter about their adventures. Read your chapters aloud to each other.
6. Have a Scrabble tournament and don’t cheat.
7. Write a song. You could make it about your time inside and put it to the tune of “My Sharona” and replace “Sharona” with “Corona.”
8. Get into baking with “The Great British Baking Show”. Your technical challenge is baking something with the ingredients you have on hand. Share your new found recipe with an acquaintance or friend you don’t see or talk with very much. Be ready to laugh together.
9. Take lots of walks in nature to heal. Walk up and down your neighborhood and talk with neighbors who are out walking their dogs. Offer them a word of encouragement from a safe social distance (6 feet).
10. Pray for our country and our global brothers and sisters that ‘this too shall swiftly pass’ and that people around the world will take our teamwork and sense of community forward with us forever in our life journey.